Adventure

Why I Sold Everything and Moved to Hawaii

8:00 AM

There are waves breaking.  And nothing but water as far as I can see off my lanai.  It's early and there are few people out but it's about to get busy just like always.  It's a little surreal you see.

View of Waikiki off our lanai
How about that for a daily view?

I've never just up and moved.  There's always been a few months warning.  And I've always been able to take stuff with me.  I've never sold 90% of everything I owned and moved.  But they say that like is all about doing things for the first time so hey, why not? 

It's not that there was anything wrong with Savannah, it was more like I got bored.  It happens with me.  A lot actually. It was a beautiful apartment that I had decorated to my exact specifications and it made me happy.  Especially the husband and wigglebutt dog that went along with it. But there just wasn't anything exciting.  I read once that if you don't like the situation you're in, you should change it.  After all, we aren't trees.

And it wasn't like this struck me all of a sudden.  Okay, actually that's not exactly true.  I mean, it's mostly true.  It really took root earlier this year.  I was working for Chanel - a job that I absolutely adored - and I went to Atlanta for my certification as a Beaute Analyst and my mercifully honest account executive told me that if I wanted to advance and move to Atlanta that she would love to have me...but fair warning - co-workers wouldn't be all that nice and to expect a cut-throat position and not exactly warm and fuzzies.  Not sure about you, but that doesn't sound like fun to me.  On the way home I called Mr. Harbin and mentioned that we should just say eff it and move to Hawaii next year.  I mean, why not?  It's technically still a state so it couldn't possibly be that complicated (wrong).
Oahu, Hawaii
Take me where there are beaches and jungles and sea turtles. 

I'm not sure if it was just luck or if God simply smiled down and said, "Hey, I thought that was a great idea too!".  Either way, everything just fell into place.  We sold almost everything we owned, packed what was left in a few flat rate boxes and shipped it to Oahu, The Gathering Place, put in two weeks notice and bought one-way plane tickets.  It wasn't as weird as I was expecting.  It kind of just felt like it was meant to be.  

Ala Moana Park, Waikiki, Hawaii, Magic Island
Possibly the most content I have ever felt in my entire life.

And now, looking out this wall of windows that give me the most exquisite view of Waikiki Beach, I can't help but think this is exactly where I was meant to be.  Happy and more than content to explore an island (that's much MUCH bigger than I expected) that has beaches and jungles within miles of one another, I'm amazing I didn't think of moving here sooner.  Sometimes all you need is a change of scenery.

Oahu, Hawaii Hiking
Not all those who wander are lost.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts